When using laser-based hair removal, unwanted hair can be permanently reduced from any location of the body, but most commonly includes the legs, bikini, back and chest. Icon™ pulses can use light energy to target and destroy cells that are responsible for the growth of hair. In as little as 10 minutes, treatments can be completed in small areas. For the most part, your day will not be disrupted, and you can resume your normal activities.
Tweezing, waxing and shaving unwanted hair not only requires time but can be messy and expensive. Then, after all of the time and money invested, hair grows back, and it all has to be repeated. That is the beauty of the Icon hair removal process. The treatment offers permanent results, which saves you immense amounts of time and money.
Leonard Plastic Surgery offers Cynosure’s Icon™ technology. This technology provides an efficient way to remove hair from all body areas. Treatments are quick, allowing you to return to your daily routine.
In addition to removing hair, the appearance of the skin can be improved with Icon, on both the face and the body. Many struggle with an uneven skin tone, caused by either age or by sun exposure. Sun exposure without protection can result in brown spots, sun spots, freckles, rosacea or visible vessels. These blemishes can be removed, allowing a fresh and glowing complexion to be exposed.
How Icon Hair Removal Works
To better grasp how laser hair removal works, it is beneficial to understand how exactly hair grows in the first place. Continue reading for a brief overview of how it is that the Icon hair removal technology can reduce unwanted body hair, permanently.
The Process of Hair Growth
- Anagen: The anagen phase lasts several months, and is the phase in which the hair is actively growing. This is also the best phase in which to perform hair removal.
- Catagen: A very short phase in which the hair bulbs begin to regress, shrinking considerably.
- Telogen: The last phase of hair growth, the telogen phase is a time of resting. Lasting a few months, hair is released from its follicle and will fall out. After this phase, it begins again with the anagen phase.
Each individual will experience a different rate of hair growth. The length of a hair growth cycle generally depends on the type of hair in question. The hair of your head will have an active growth phase that can last several years, as opposed to body hair with an active growth phase of only a few months.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
It is recommended that you shave and avoid exposure to the sun before your consultation. This better enables your chances of being able to proceed with treatments on the same day as your consultation. There is little to no downtime to be expected after treatment.
To begin the process, a gel is applied to the skin where treatment is to be done. Eye shields will be provided to protect your eyes from the light during the treatment. A provider will guide the Icon™ handpiece along the treatment area. The feeling one can expect is that of cooling and a sensation like being lightly snapped with a rubber band as the energy is delivered into the skin and hair follicles. The sensation is over very quickly, and treatments often take only minutes.
Following treatment, the gel is removed, and you may receive a new cooling gel for your skin. There is no need for ointments or bandages, as the treatment is minimally invasive. For the next few days you may feel like you have a mild sunburn but can resume life as normal.
Special Considerations, Risks and Recovery
- Shave the area to be treated
- Six weeks before treatment, discontinue waxing, plucking or tweezing of the chosen areas.
- Four weeks prior, avoid excessive UV exposure. Do not use a tanning bed or tanning creams.
A sunburn-like feeling is to be expected and will fade in 2-24 hours. However, it can persist for up to 72 hours. A few days of mild swelling and redness can accompany this feeling.
- Continue to avoid the sun, and utilize an SPF 45 or higher sunscreen during treatment and for up to 6 weeks after.
- The appearance of hair growth will continue for up to 30 days following treatment. Do not be alarmed, as this is merely old hair exiting the system.